Monday, March 30, 2009

It's the 20th Century Cure...

After researching what a tent-rental style wedding may entail (holy crap!), I'm beginning to stress over the details already. I knew they'd be expensive, but I didn't think they'd run ~$900-$2000! Also, I'm paranoid about the ground near the house. It is mostly clay and old farm soil. Chances are it will be soft/muddy. Gravel would be $$ and just sink in. Flooring or Astroturf costs $$ to put in (and labour!). Parking/shuttling would be a nightmare.

The last thing I want is stress, I just want to enjoy everything. I want to have fun and celebrate the night with Adam and my loved ones, I don't want to worry if someone has heels on that are going to sink, if it's going to be windy/rainy/freezing, who is going to be stuck behind cleaning up, etc. Factor in renting chairs, tables, and possibly heaters... ehhhh. :( I would love to have it at the house because it's an important place to us, but the factors weighing in are making me look to the possibility of using another venue.

That being said, I'm considering another option that had actually crossed my mind at the beginning of thinking about all the wedding possibilities. I went to a Rasputina concert awhile back at a lovely venue in Oakley called The 20th Century Theater. On a whim I googled their site, and it turns out, they are totally on board with the wedding hosting.

It's really important to me that this venue meshes with Adam too, so we'll take a field trip when he visits and scope it out. If it's not right for both of us, we'll find an alternative. I like the feel of it though and can definitely picture things working there. We're both movie buffs and the 40's feel of it channels the vintage vibe of the precious. :D

I find this a little freakily coincidental, but awesome: They are currently running a "Friday Night Wedding Special" (And Friday, October 15th, 2010 is currently available)! This means 1/2 price on rent (which normally runs $500-$1500 depending on day and event), they do the setup and cleanup, use of their Marquee ("Now Playing: Adam + Sarah: The Wedding"), tables, chairs, china, and glassware, free linens, and use of main and VIP room (which has a billiard table + jukebox). They seem very flexible with their rental time. They also have a great stage which would be perfect for Dulahan, too!

The main thing would be making sure we are free to book own band (Dulahan!), DJ (Amber's awesomely generous mom!), etc. Not sure if I like the idea of them catering or not. We will have to investigate further on added costs and the such (lighting, catering, bar--we can't BYOB-it, they have a liquor license for their bar, etc.), but wow... A very neat prospect (with good acoustics!).

The architecture is very fun, it went up in the early 40's and was constructed in the Art Moderne style. I like that it has an interesting history, too. Clickety to read about it. :)




p.s. I e-mailed Kyle of Dulahan regarding booking tonight! So excited!

2 comments:

  1. I went to a wedding at the 20th Century once. It was awesome! And I love that place. I'm sad I never got to see it in it's heyday, when it was new and actually a theater. It's still a great place, though. I think Emily knows the people who own it, so you should talk to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, good to know, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete