Saturday, March 7, 2009

First post!

Adam proposed on December 27th, 2008! *swoooooooon*

We've set the date for October 15th, 2010. Since then, I've been looking through all the offbeat/indie bride sites out there, forums, livejournal and various blogs, using google-fu, etsy, you name it, for inspiration. There are sooooo many different ways to do everything. It's going to be difficult to make decisions. We both have a lot of varied interests, but very particular taste. A lot of what I see I like the concept of, but not the actual execution. I am hoping that blogging will help me keep the inspiration in one place and create something cohesive. :)





Things we know for sure:

We're going to book Dulahan for music.
There will be a Red Velvet Cake. (Amongst all sorts of cupcakes.)

Ideas being kicked around:

Colour scheme:
1. Black and Purple
2. Black and Red
3. Black, Purple, Silver
4. Black, Red, Silver
5. Black, Purple, Red, Orange, Green (Think Halloween M&M's Colours)

Black dress, corset top with a full skirt (draped, tiered, or pickup), in satin or vinyl. Shit kicker tall boots (hey, it worked for prom!).

Partial teeny vintagey black veil or skipping it altogether.

Classic silver/black/white smoky eye, babydoll cheeks, and rose lips.

Rehearsal dinner at The Golden Buddha.
Reception dinner at The Claddagh.

Would it be incredibly horrible and beyond faux pas to invite people to a reception dinner and pick up the first round of drinks/appetizers, but for people to pay for their own dinner? We want to treat, but I doubt we'll have the funds. We can handle desserts too, will have cake, cupcakes, and maybe a candy bar. Not wild on having to deal with stress of DIY dinner or a potluck. Catering is insane, the best we'd be able to do is pizza, and that's so not what I want to be eating that night. The Claddagh is one of my faves and has a lot of sentimental value (went there with my Gma Ginny and my mom for special events like birthdays)--but I know food is supposed to be catered for guests, so arrrgh! Maybe we'll get magical fundage, who knows?

The growing guest list is scary! I never thought I would know this many people!

Our budget is going to be very, very small. He will be in his first semester of grad school when we get married and things are going to be extra tight since it will most likely be away from Ohio, and we'll be paying to move, rent, etc. Gunna DIY the hell out of everything.

I'd love to hear ideas from everyone else! I'm all about the storming of the brains right now.

***
The Precious!


4 comments:

  1. Well, here's my two cents. Dinner at Claddagh would be tough to handle for a large crowd, and it might pose problems with Dulahan playing unless you rented out the restaurant for the entire night, which would be pricey.

    I suggest getting a hall for the night and doing it up potluck style. It gives the feeling of a family affair, and you can assign people food to bring so that you don't end up with 100 side dishes or something.

    Also, planning a wedding is hella stressful, so simplify as much as you can and remember to breathe.

    That's all I have to say about that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm iffy on the potluck idea... I've never seen that done in a way that would be nice or classy for a reception. But if you wanted to have a gift opening party after you get back from the honeymoon, we could do it up nice and cozy, with a family-style potluck.

    And don't overlook the value and ease of a cake and punch reception. They're easy, people can leave early if they need to, and they have the potential to be beautiful, especially with all of your ideas.

    Either way, I'm totally excited! Can't wait, and I am here to help if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, you MUST do this! MUST:

    http://vimeo.com/3077489

    Second: I am so "making" your boots. You'll see ;-)

    Third: We need to get together for inspiration/idea talk.

    Fourth: YAY!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the ideas everyone! :D

    ReplyDelete